Saturday, December 15, 2007

The Long Wait

NOW, LET'S SEE. 10 DAYS AND COUNTING.
OVERLOADED WITH EXCITEMENT, CAN'T HELP IT.
(ALSO: INSTANT, IMMEDIATE WANT TO SQUEEZE-HUG SCOTTISH SPEAKING ALIEN BOY WITH REALLY FANCY OUTFIT AND ÜBERSEXY GLASSES.)
*THEN COME THE DRUM ROLLS*
OKAY. HERE GOES:

"I'm The Doctor. I'm a Time Lord.
I'm 903 years old and I'm the man
who's gonna save YOUR life
and all 6 billion people on the planet below.

You got a problem with that?!"


Nope. Not at all. Feel free to save my life anytime, David. Preferrably in a tux. This new trailer for "Voyage of the Damned" gives an absolutely fantastic first glance of what appears to be an absolutely fantastic episode, at least that was my first impression, and I adore the choice of music. Then again, that spooky Rose meets The Doctor-theme was always a favourite of mine. Strange thing. Let it also be said that Kylie comes off as an extraordinarily cool assistant, much more than I'd dare hope for, and I'm happy to say that. Note that this overwhelming supposition of acting abilities follows a 2 minute preview of a 70 minute show, which does say a lot. Ooh, the auspicious notions. I love her albums, but I honestly didn't think she could act (judging from her early videos and the horrendous "Neighbours"...*shivers*...) but prejudice aside, this looks as good as it can possibly get. Doctor Who meets Disaster Movie (yup, David's said so himself) meets James Cameron meets Star Trek meets...I dunno. Itself, in the mirror, perchance. I'm expecting traditional Christmas Special-style with ridiculous monsters and inappropriate references to the creation of Earth; waitress costumes, spikey-faces, singing blue villain folks and all. Like the man said, will rescue all inhabitants in the world and probably grant us all a very Merry Christmas along the way. Me is anxious. With barely contained excitement, that is. Still, and with ten more days of waiting, I might go a bit mad. Which, again, is a mood that should suit the return of "Doctor Who" just fine.

And by the way, about the accurate explication of the age-thing: "Doctor Who" is (I further suppose) the only show on television, or in existence, ever, which develops its story arc in the impeccable way that it simply adds new information for every possible continuity error that may appear, to avoid logical flaws, and actually manages to make this rewriting make sense. And with new information comes new explanations. Twist, turn, there you have it. Makes the whole series even more brilliant, in my opinion. So, what if you want to argue The Doctor can't actually be 903 years old precisely? He lied, he died, he regenerated, he met his old self, he played cricket, he shot a piano, he killed a Dalek on the way. He had an injection of mysterious huon particles that accidentally changes Time Lord DNA. He snogged Rose and absorbed the Time Vortex. Loads of sensible tie-in procedures there, everything's more likely than the less likely rest. Limitless potential, as usual, and how I love it! Also, if nothing else helps to explain, let's settle for the whole wibbly-wobbly-timey-wimey-stuff again. Steven Moffat agrees, I applaud. Ten cheers for travelling in time!

1 comment:

elgen said...

Jo oftere eg ser dette stykke jo mer elsker eg David! Han er så skjekk! :-D Har du muligheten å se "episoden"?

Sist uke har vi snakket om reklame og et eksempel var en bil-reklame med "Doctor Who"-skuespiller. Men da eg så bildet, visste eg at det var de fra den gamle "Doctor Who" serien. :-(