Monday, December 03, 2007

Something for December & the New Year

Soundtrack: All I want for Christmas - Samantha Mumba.

CHRISTMAS: As for other occurring incidents in the latter days...The major, heart-warming, candle-lit, chocolate-filled event of the year - also known as Christmas - is soon approaching, and I've already begun with the initial preparations. Including buying Advent Calendar, eating Christmas sweets, and for the first time today: played Christmas songs on my media player. Band Aid, Elton John, Wizzard and the soundtrack from Love Actually. Puts me in the right mood, right away. However, not everything is ready to simply be set aside, or postponed until the arrival of the New Year; some duties must still be fulfilled; so, in other words, Holiday mode isn't quite upon me yet. I still have my exams to write and my term paper to hand in, but otherwise we are indeed nearing the end of the semester, getting closer every day, which is highly enjoyable. This is, of course, my very favourite time of year (apart from my birthday, haha) and I am so looking forward to the moment when school is out, over and done with; another semester completed; when I can finally rest and do whatever I please. At last. I am such a child! Having written entire blog posts about my maturation, that seems somewhat out of place and ironic. But this is another example of what a childish grown up I allow myself to be, without undermining my status as a serious student (yeah right) and a proper woman of her early twenties. That's quite possible to combine with being absolutely crazy about Christmas atmosphere, gift wrapping, trees, Disney, season movies in general, Christmas carols...you name it. I find this feeling extremely appealing; it fits perfectly with my general sense of enthusiasm regarding anything that is remotely related to common love and joy. I am always sauntering about with a smile on my face, during this month of waiting - which, to me, is the best part of the whole celebration; always with something to be excited about, something to anticipate. Writing wish-lists and reading Christmas stories at the fanfiction boards. Speaking of which: the Doctor Who-crew is treating us a to a special gift every day of December; with regular updates at their official website, new videos, pictures and news on a daily basis. Naturally, their motive is to attract viewers to the Christmas Special, but still - it's a wonderful nod to all the loyal fans; the perfect gift for all Whovians! And we can be even more enthusiastic about "Voyage of the Damned", with every opened calendar door, and every revealed Behind the Scenes-story, every passed hour of waiting. Just like Christmas itself. Getting better every day. Except, with all the building-up, it's pretty depressing when it's all over. But hey - I'm not gonna think about that now. Push all negative waves aside, and embrace the red and golden moments. Glitter and glorification. I'm not sure I should be discussing my view on the essential message of Christmas; it is the tradition that I hold dear. For once, we should allow ourselves to be - well - childish, fussing and massively consuming. Spend loads of money on those we're fond of, and devote loads of time to being together and baking cakes and just...be happy. I love Christmas, yes I do. Three weeks to go! More on this subject later on! (Will also make new lists with favourite Christmas films and -songs!)

QUEEN: My favourite band's Christmas factor is limited, more or less, to two Yuletide-related songs. Which, on the other hand, are pretty brilliant. "A Winter's Tale" is, for instance, one of my all time Queen favourites. And I find it seriously adorable that Brian and Roger penned "Thank God it's Christmas" together, making it one of very very few such collaborations. But now the fabulous folks are back with a new track! At the moment, Queen rocks the studios, according to Brian May. The Best Band in the Universe will soon release their first, full-length record in co-operation with Paul Rodgers, with solely new material, and this week they provided a taste of what's to come - in the form of a charity single for World AIDS Day, no less. Surely in honour of Freddie and a very nice nodd indeed, as far as I'm concerned. The song is, according to Brian the Brilliant and his writings on the SoapBox, a remix of Roger's beautiful ballad "Say it's not true" - originallt written for Nelson Mandela - now with more drums and guitars; it sounds fantastic! I really look forward to this, as well, more than I can possibly express in writing. The event of the year; if nothing else, 2008 will at least mark the time of the comeback no-one had expected or had reason to believe in. Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Kent - who cares. Well, I do, but that's beside the point. Brian and Roger's back and they bring rock'n'roll goodies. They give me an opportunity to celebrate, even when the Big Celebration is through. They give me singalong-tunes and potential classics. And, hopefully, a cover sleeve with loads of fancy PhotoShoot-pic's, like the ones they made for their 2006 tour. Which were amazing; the both of them. Queen remains the greatest, and now they have the chance to prove it - again! Hurray!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Du er i godt selskap når du henger fast i juletradisjoner. Voksne kvinner (programledere som er mellom 25 og 30 år har gavejulekalender fra Mamma........og ja, vi gleder oss - queen er best