Friday, December 28, 2007

A very fond thanks!!!

SO. Christmas pressies! :D What did one receive and what were the reactions? After all my babbly exclamations about what I expected, what I wanted, what was the main thing (about Christmas) that I was looking forward to, tralala the essence of Christmas spirit, I surely ought to mention what I actually got - as well. First things first: practical items! Warm and sensible clothes (stonewashed denim), healthy food (chocolates, marzipan, sweets), daily necessities (cinema tickets, dvd's, crime fiction books) and convenient gift vouchers (for the biggest record store in Bergen) and more. (If not so very grown-up; no socks, no ties, no cups, no plates, no cutlery, no table cloths. Thank God.) Happy happy days. Thanks a lot, you guys, this was all very much appreciated. VERY very much appreciated! Me hearts meaningful, wonderful, thoughtful and beautiful Christmas gifts! I am lucky enough to have family and friends who give me things I truly want, even vehemently desire; often both cheaper and nicer and more practical, in reality, than the things I (apparently should) need. Which, I must admit, seems somwhat ironic. But I hate things I allegedly need. I want something I want, to quote that cynical Alan Rickman-admiring babe from "Love Actually". Be it homemade or priceless or extremely valuable or ridiculously cheap. It's the thought that matters - and those, if possible, stating reason for giving me cutlery (or worse) for Christmas would be considered no less than purely evil. Consequently, I'd rather have a self-decorated card with some bird or whatever on the cover, instead of a gift that is given based on an idea of my being supposed to need stuff that I was never even asked if I need. Fortunately, my family knows that. And I did get a couple of bird cards. However, and most importantly, there were four presents (in addition to the cards, haha) from my parents this year that truly represented things I've said I wanted. Mind you; needed, too, for the sake of my personal interests and mental well-being. Catchword: "Doctor". Under the tree I found no less than two box sets of TV series featuring dead-charming Doctor men; "House" and "WHO". Weee! You can imagine my undescribable joy; I was absolutely euphoric. Screaming at the top of my lungs, hugging my folks so tight, I think they feared I was gonna squeeze them to death. On Christmas Eve, no less. But my goodness, what a perfect duo of collected loveliness! Also, my mother had got me DW's "2007 Storybook", with Doctor/Rose short stories, on sale. Oh, the angst and weepy shippyness. Tears in my eyes after two paragraphs. Have had to read very slowly and in limited amounts per day. Such a treat, though - for my (said) shippy heart! And last, but certainly not least, saved for the final surprise of the evening, there was this strange, unidentifiable object with sharp plastic edges, wrapped in green with small santas on it. "No big deal", said mom and dad, with huge smiles to go along. And well, they were lying. I excitedly removed the paper, only to reveal...my very own SONIC SCREWDRIVER. Yup, that's right. And that's when I started jumping up and down, loudly expressing my glee, in our strictly speaking too tiny for that kind of activities-kinda living room. I am probably blessed with the most fandom-respecting, ingenius parents in the history of Time and Space. Basically speaking. I am an overly lucky fangirl in her twenties who still have a family that's enthusiastic on her behalf even though that means the world evolves around David Tennant, at times. For the record, I do count myself lucky. And I write this because I know I'm not the only one. I've been reading slightly ashamed fan community posts from fathers-of-three who quietly inquire whether wishing for a 10 cm plastic TARDIS model, for their own entertainment's sake, is indeed pathetic. It's not. Despite being adults we're still entitled to some fun, I mean - who decided what's too childish when it comes to Christmas wishes? Why should anyone feel shameful about wanting miniature Doctor Who accessories, picture books and David Tennant dolls at the age of 34? I wholeheartedly approve of, and support, these various, most charming passions! Cos that's what we behold. Charming passions. Fanboys and fangirls, out there, I hope you also got what you wanted, what you earnestly craved, and I hope you get to induldge in your fandoms; I hope your surroundings are as supportive and understanding as mine. Also, now I can go around bleeping people like a mad woman! No more closed doors, no more impossible lockers. Hee hee hee. Might not want to go through the security check at the airport armed with the screwdriver, though. Not the psychic paper that accompanied it, either, for I simply wouldn't be able to resist pointing the bright UV light at the security guards and grin manically. This thing even makes authentic noises. And looks scaringly realistic. Oooh, go Scaramouche the new-born Time Lady!!! *Twisted laughter* Did I say for the purpose of my "mental well-being"? Hmmm. Maybe more along the lines of unhealthy, these presents.

[Image: Never was a happier fangirl! As photographed by Daddy and hopefully with an illustrative facial expression, albeit not the best picture ever taken of myself.]

1 comment:

elgen said...

hei, bildet ser så fint ut, spesiell du! ;-) Har du lang hår nå? eg har det bra her på Wuppertal, men Stefano (kjæresten min) blir litt syk :-( Men den det er veldig fint å ha noe for å kose seg med (håper du forstår hva eg mener)

Ha et strålende nytt år!