Thursday, February 22, 2007

Kittens and Cravings and Cosmic Relief

Right now, I just love my studies. First and foremost because, as most people know about me, I LOVE Andrew Lloyd Webber and his musical "Cats", and when I heard we were reading T.S. Eliot, I did have some small hopes that we would read the one poem he wrote which actually became a foundation and main source of inspiration for this musical, namely "Preludes". And guess what? My homework for next week, is nothing less than - you guessed it! - and thus, here follows;

T. S. Eliot: Preludes (1917)

I

The winter evening settles down
With smell of steaks in passageways.
Six o'clock.
The burnt-out ends of smoky days.
And now a gusty shower wraps
The grimy scraps
Of withered leaves about your feet
And newspapers from vacant lots;
The showers beat
On broken blinds and chimneypots,
And at the corner of the street
A lonely cab-horse steams and stamps.
And then the lighting of the lamps.

II

The morning comes to consciousness
Of faint stale smells of beer
From the sawdust-trampled street
With all its muddy feet that press
To early coffee-stands.

With the other masquerades
That times resumes,
One thinks of all the hands
That are raising dingy shades
In a thousand furnished rooms.


III

You tossed a blanket from the bed
You lay upon your back, and waited;
You dozed, and watched the night revealing
The thousand sordid images
Of which your soul was constituted;
They flickered against the ceiling.
And when all the world came back
And the light crept up between the shutters
And you heard the sparrows in the gutters,
You had such a vision of the street
As the street hardly understands;
Sitting along the bed's edge, where
You curled the papers from your hair,
Or clasped the yellow soles of feet
In the palms of both soiled hands.


IV


His soul stretched tight across the skies
That fade behind a city block,
Or trampled by insistent feet
At four and five and six o'clock;
And short square fingers stuffing pipes,
And evening newspapers, and eyes
Assured of certain certainties,
The conscience of a blackened street
Impatient to assume the world.

I am moved by fancies that are curled
Around these images, and cling:
The notion of some infinitely gentle
Infinitely suffering thing.

Wipe your hand across your mouth, and laugh;
The worlds revolve like ancient women
Gathering fuel in vacant lots.

**

T.S. Eliot is a source of inspiration and knowledge for myself as well, and one shouldn't discount the possibility that I might write some poetry based on his publishings later on...in the near, very near, future...keep posted, and you'll know! ;) And go A.L.W!!!
___________

Other news; The (10th) Doctor, meaning David Tennant, is doing charity stuff for Comic Relief, My Doctor, Number Nine - Mr Chris Eccleston is doing great stuff in general, especially on "Heroes" - which I hope will reach Norwegian TV channels in an immediate future (that too) and also in "Perfect Parents", with Sarah Parish; who again stars in "Recovery" with - that's right - number ten, David Tennant! BBC is a merry what-goes-around (comes around), pun intended, where everything seems to evolve in sircles and hell, I don't mind! Speaking of which, the song "What goes around (comes around)", as you should know, has a video out now featuring Scarlett The Beautiful and it is completely wonderful and possibly the best Justin Timberlake song ever, In My Humble Opinion, and also - well - Scarlett looks great. If I ever started fancying girls, etc etc, but of course I won't, unless she is etc etc. Same old story.

Furthermore: Hugh Grant, of all people, was - I suddenly learnt, and realized - up for the part as The Doctor, at the time of planning Series One, or at least he claims that he was. (According to ultra-tabloid The Mirror; my GOD, why am I happily believing all this shit?! Haha...) And although I would have seriously hated him as the Doc, since he is as far from a proper Doc as anyone could imaginably be - I am very happy to announce that, apparently, he is up for a guest part on the upcoming series (in plural, probably series 4 if it actually happens) and he will play a baddie, because that's what he likes best. He says. And that's of course what we, his fans, like best too!!! Especially after his brilliant performance in Bridget Jones. Plus, if Hugh comes along, maybe Colin Firth and Bill Nighy will too??? And Billie? THAT would be an event to die for. Literally. I'd have to be careful to avoid a heart attack, yes indeed.
___________

So, that's all for now, and more than enough I think. Poetrie and Who-e-ie comin' up. As always. Starstruck-ness still lingering, though, I feel I could jump over the moon...and land on a puff. With a whiff. Cheers! And - read Brian May's Blog, AND support the Hedgehogs! (Sign petition!) He's smart and they're important!

Love, Scara

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Endelig ser jeg hvor du henter din inspirasjon fra - fortsett å dyrke dine helter - slikt blir det gripende poesi av.