Friday, November 30, 2007

Coming Soon

...to a Tescos near you! And then a small disclaimer, just to get it over with: I don't own "Doctor Who", not even remotely, but if I did things would definately have turned out otherwise, and since I can't stop thinking about that possibility (or should I say eventuality), I commit sinful little deeds like this. BBC, I am your greatest admirer, I am a dedicated fan of everything you produce, still sometimes you seem to need a tiny push - meaning a proper shove in the right direction, to be all honest - and yes, you make take this as a piece of well-meant advice. A serious suggestion and a genuinely hopeful proposition. Also, I really need to get myself a proper j-o-b. But that's for another discussion, later on. For now, this is what I've been working on.

Soundtrack of the hours: Doctor Who Television Soundtrack. The story goes as follows: I spent most of the afternoon - inbetween reading sessions, book skimming, phone calls and grocery shopping - contemplating how on earth they might manage to pull of the slightly dangerous and very much anticipated (already!) event that is the three last episodes of Series Four of "Doctor Who". I call this activity "breaks"; outsiders might see it as elements of severe distraction, and I'm not arguing, but it does take my mind off the troublesomeness procured by upcoming exams, challenging my senses, which is a sort of distraction I welcome and sorely need. Thus, I find myself happily daydreaming about loud and monumental music, epic dialogue, shouting Doctors and crying Billies, and it's all a bit...messy in there. Lame bits, plot-holes and missing conjunctions. I'm sure Russel T. Davies felt the same way when he was writing it. They're currently filming the first scenes down in Cardiff, so he better have the script ready and in order. In good shape, rather. I'd like to see the size of that first draft. Divergions aside, however, it's overly exciting to speculate - and I do have a lot of ideas that I can't pinpoint but continuously try to collect and structure. Attempting to create some expectations and fathomable theories, for my own sake, as to what I wish will happen. More or less specifically. Mostly at random, pretty nonsensical. And all of a sudden, I was thinking to myself, or - well, it dawned on me - that maybe they could steal some ideas from an old favourite film of mine, namely "Love Story". Yep, the "Love Story". Ali MacGraw, Ryan O'Neal, unexplained sickness and 70's fashion show. Also including one of my favourite film quotes of all time: "What can you say about a twenty-five-year-old girl who died? That she was beautiful and brilliant? That she loved Mozart and Bach, the Beatles, and me?" Proper tear-jerker, in other words, and the connection to musky beach scenes and lines like "For the first nineteen years of my life, nothing happened..." suddenly seems quite clear. I adore stories that make me want to just bear-hug the main characters, whilst watching; stories that inspire a want to cuddle up in a sofa with candles and a thick blanket and enjoy uncontrollably. Both "LS" and "DW" do, so it can't be denied that they have at least one thing in common. Moreover, I was searching the web for pic's from the 1970 drama, and found one which got me all inspired. Inspiration of an uncanny manner, that is. I spotted parallell(world)s and topics in common, just about everywhere, and most importantly I realized that love really means never having to say "I'm sorry", which is of course what The Doctor has been doing on a constant basis since he regenerated into a Harry Potter villain, and if there's one thing we wish to avoid at all costs in the new episodes, it's reaons to be sorry. That's what had me spurred: a strong desire for the two of them to finally find some peace, to find joy; to find the source of unlimited love, to find comfort, to find each other. First and foremost. And then, there was no turning back. I was imagining slow motion running sequences, bursting hearts and sunday evening dinner with Jackie. Blissfull family life. What I lack is the something in the middle; the conflict to stir up the situation, the complicated confrontation, the big fucking alien gun duel, whatever. Sure, we need that too. Add The Master, some Klaxons, a bitchy trampoline; and there you have it. Give them something to chase, and something to chase them. A breath of adrenalline fuelling suspense. But more than anything, I want this to be absolutely, insufferably and irresistibly romantic. That's the main point. That's my requirement, my demand. I want to be able to sit in my chair, my comfy recliner, and sigh with glee. Not bite my nails. Not jump and scream and endure both physically and mentally damaging break downs due to RTD's sick need for a final twist. "Love Story" might be an inconvenient example, in this respect, for it does end quite tragically; in utter, hopeless tragedy; but the love is very much alive, till the vey finish line, the relationship blossoms and thrives. I want a relationship like that, a proper one, between The Doctor and Rose. So much, I can hardly restrain myself. And today, I didn't. As a direct consequence, I ended up with something ridiculously shippy, completely adorable (with regard to my personal taste) and generally overloaded with fangirl influences. This is Series Four, or the Specials, of some off-canon fluff-stuff, whatever you'd name it, which is sort of what I'd make if I had the right resources and were given the opportunity. After this, however, I'm sure I never will be. But you never know. One day, the Beeb might call. And at least I'll have the finished DVD cover available!

[Artwork, below, by Scaramouche; yours truly. Using PhotoShop, strange abilities and passing fancies. Images stolen (albeit with no cruel intentions) from the BBC, Tragical History Tour and David-Tennant.com. DVD Details from the official DW-site. Ideas taken from various fan-com's and what's property of my own, above mentioned imagination. For the record, the cover is a proper mock-up of the one from my "Love Story" DVD, thus a little simpler than how I'd preferred it. All rights served, and don't bring charges upon me. I do it out of love, not spite! ;) Click pic's to enlarge, as usual!]

FRONT:

BACK:

2 comments:

elgen said...

Fantastisk Layout!

Anonymous said...

dette er fantastisk