Sunday, June 22, 2008

Radical Importancies

The following includes spoilers, nonsense and inconsistent babble/doodle and ridiculously overdone fangirling about "Doctor Who", so be warned. If you haven't seen "Turn Left", you should stop reading immediately, watch the episode, and then come back to finish the rest! With thanks to lovely uploaders, commentators, fans and other devotees. And, most of all, to the cast and crew behind our favourite show.

There's no way I'll be able to make this coherent, but I'll try my best to make it understandable. I have just had the immense pleasure of watching what might indeed be the very best episode ever made of (one of) my favourite TV series, "Doctor Who", and it included some absolutely stunning performances from most of my favourite actors, who also happens to be some of the best actors there are; the most excellent people you find, out there, and amongst them were Catherine Tate, Elizabeth Sladen, and Billie Piper. That's right. Episode 11, "Turn Left", marks the definitive return of Billie P. to her breakthrough series; in a story which mostly featured her, oppsite Catherine, and not even remotely encountering her beloved Doctor; despite how she was travelling between worlds to save him, and regardless how evidently desperate she was to see him again. Painful to watch, as a shipper and an emotive person of nature; but, as it were, more important things are at stake at the moment and the whole of creation is in danger. Naturally, Rose must come to the rescue, and joining forces with Catherine the Genius never was a bad idea. The Doc himself, as played by the strikingly absent David Tennant; whom we didn't actually excpect to see much of anyway, this being a Doctor-lite episode and all; appeared once or twice and gave a hug, and little else, but no matter. This brilliant female duo made it all worth while on their own, and delivered some impossibly powerful and engaging interaction, adding a whole new level to the series. I've been contemplating what it'd be like, when the two of them eventually met, and how they'd respond to each other's positions in The Doctor's life, how they'd get along, but in no sense had I imagined it could be so wonderful, so...I don't know, heartwrenching and incredible. It was such treat to have Billie back, I really have no words to express my feelings right now; I think my fangirl heart just burst, and it's a marvellous, amazingly delighted breakdown I'm having at the moment. I've been waiting for this for so long, been anticipating this event so fervently, I haven't even been able to write anything about it here - a fact about which I am slightly ashamed, considering how much time I've spent on so many other, inferior details and speculations related to this show - earlier on - and then, when I've got so much to tell, I'm unable to communicate it as properly as I ought to. But we've received so little information, up to this moment, we've only been given hints and tint bits and pieces; until this one minute, when we get the whole thing thrown at us, all at the same time, in the same, compact instant; as though it comes thundering down upon me, and I can't control it, can't control the speed or the impact, I hardly know how to describe what I learn, what I see, how it's done. I'm left somewhat speechless, powerless, and utterly stunned. It seems that when everything eventually is revealed, everything does happen at once, and consequently becomes ever the more difficult to handle; it makes it impossible for me to maintain any sort of calm, collected overview. By now, I've completely lost tract of all that's happened and all that (apparently) is happening, I just jog along and enjoy the ride wholeheartedly, to the extent I find bearable, breathing in every single momento of "DW" spirit anywhichway I can and loving it with a passion. Still, I wish I'd known more of what we had in store for us. Admittedly, I've found myself "distracted" by travels and business and exams and such, lately, and hence my main focus has been elsewhere - which is regrettable, but well worth it too - and even though I've tried to keep up; reading news at LiveJournal, watching the episodes, surfing around online and downloading buckets of imagery; I haven't put enough efforts into reflecting on these or discussing the consequences that they've built up to; and now, when we're finally there - and the two final episodes, the very finale, is rapidly approaching - I don't feel the least bit prepared, or at all ready. And, I don't know where to start, where to head off from, how to come to terms with this whole plot! I feel dazed and confused and taken aback, yet also extremely content. Because this - quite simply, and in utmost honesty - promises to be the best, most superior, most fabulous ending to any season of "Doctor Who", in the history of ever, and it's all due to the people involved in this show whom I hold dearest and adore beyond explanation; David, Billie and Catherine. They're all in it. They're all brilliant. It couldn't possibly have been any better. But, anyways; to make it a bit more logic, sort of to sum it up, in short; it all begins with Donna and The Doctor out on an "ordinary trip", to some random alien planet, where Donna ends up at a fortune teller's place and gets slightly betwicthed. To say the least. Then, all of a sudden, she's got a time beetle on her back and finds herself trapped in an alternate reality, into which this young, pretty, blonde woman suddenly comes stumbling - or, more like running, our of a portal of some kind; with lots of fancy lighting and stuff - and the two of them together have to face the rather strange situation of what the world, our world, would be like without The Doctor, and what would have come to be if he had not been here to save us; what if he'd never met Donna, what if they'd never gone travelling together, and of course - the effects of such a different version of the story, the ultimate choice, are quite severe indeed. They also continue onwards,, develop and escalate, over the next two episodes - judging from the trailers and predictions made throughout this one. To give some particular, essential clues: the darkness is coming, the evil's approaching, and The Doctor needs all the help he can get. He's assisted by allies both from his present and his past, to attack villains of the same overlapping time lines. The scenario, on the whole, and in which these superb characters are taking part, is unbelievably large-scaled and wide-spanning and fantastic; the exact way we'd barely dared to hope that it would be. We'd been promised a crowded house of companions galoring, fighting and horror and general non-stop action, and it could have turned out really chaotic - one big (and) disappointing mess. Instead it starts off as touching, dramatic, well-played and incredibly sweet; I got 45 minutes of Donna Noble and Rose Marion Tyler, trying to save the world; whilst bumping into each other, talking beside each other, getting to know each other, "Matrix" style; and it was simply fascinating. I couldn't have asked for more, anything else, or any improvement. As mentioned above, truly, and I'm sure I'll be repeating this a lot over the coming days. But, I have to say, I never ever even dreamed it would be so great; this whole return-chapter, all friends of the Doctor returning, everyone's coming to the party and someone is bound to be crashing it; but Russel T. Davies once again surprised us all with some (surprisingly!) grand writing and scheming and thoroughly unexpected greatness - making it all fit in just nicely. He'd managed to squeeze in everyone who's been important to The Doctor over the past four seasons (and more), and providing nods to the old series as well as spin-off series "Torchwood", and he did make Billie's reappearence one Hell of a journey, honouring the perfection that has always been her character and which has made us all love Rose Tyler so very, very much. Well, I dare claim, no-one will love her any less after this. She's grown, she's matured, and she's more similar to her long lost Time Lord than ever before; she even behaves, talks and argues like him. Makes the same excuses, produces the same laugh, and that smile - when she was grinning so enthusiastically at the TARDIS, I nearly choked. Somehow, I feared she was going to seem totally out of place, in this "new ear" of DW, that it would be too awkward and accidental, suffering from discontinuity errors. Fortunately, this never was the case. Nowhere near it, in fact. No, it was a sheer bliss to see her back on the TV screen, to shine in the best part she's played so far in her career, and then - what more - to have her teaming up with Donna for this special opportunity; let me just emphasize on that; her being a tad bit different than during her previous adventures suited her well, as it did this new occasion, with the mysteriousness and subtlety and inexplicable context of her comeback adding to the overall quality, and then finally; getting to reveal a little more about herself, at least these two words that made it all come together and which completed the epic episode in the best manner we could've asked for. Bad Wolf. Boy, oh boy, was I nearly crying there. Furthermore, when Donna returned to The Doctor, or - technically - when he came looking for her, and she confronted him with what she'd experienced, when she told him about this girl; that look on the man's face when he realized first, who might be coming back, and second, that yes it's her, it was a little too much for me to bear. The disbelief, the contradicting reactions, the pro's and con's and what!'s that were obviously streaming through his head, I still can't fathom how one actor can display all this in a single glance; one, single facial expression. There is a very good reason why David Tennant is so highly esteemed, and he proved it again here. Not that he has to, but he still does. Neither he disappoints, not ever, and along with all the rest of his fans, I'm grateful for it. He deserves all the credit he can get, and so do his ladies. They were all top notch, and Catherine proves she's more of a method actress than anyone's ever thought. Also, the twists and turns were pleasantly smart, for a sci-fi show, and immaculately executed; editing, direction and music were all flawless, and screaming with well-spent budget money, the production team never fails, and the locations - CGI and live shooting alike - were unbelievably beautiful. As were the costumes. I've grown to love Billie's new look, including the hairdo, and the leather jacket is made of pure win. She was gorgeous. Donna also looked a picture of stylishness, as we've grown accustomed to, and her coat was very "Withnail & I"; naturally, I show loads of approval at such indirect referances. Additionally, the girl playing Chantho in last year's three-parter finale returned for a brief but memorably brilliant cameo, as a villain of all possible things, whereas Martha Jones was made a hero again, good for her, moreover; Bernard Cribbins is a star, the "refugee life" he had to lead with Donna and Donna's mum was priceless, as was Rose's comment on The Doctor's hair; at which point I almost dropped dead of squee; along with the winding up of all the various tales, the binding together of all the episodes we've watched thus far; it was in a word perfect. Yup, that's exactly what it is, the lot of this, it's genuinely perfect entertainment. There's not much else to say, except to state once more how I truly and deeply and madly find myself in love this show; I love how it always manages to captivate me, catch me off guard, stun me, leave me absolutely flabbergasted. Collapsing from overwhelmedness, it's quite likely here, and I love that too. I love The Doctor, I love Rose, I love Donna, and now get all of them, all at once, living out the most exceptional adventure they'll ever have - and it's brilliant! I'm hooked, I'm devoted, I'm absorbed and I never want to be free again! This is what I call friggin' television; what it should always be like!

2 comments:

elgen said...

:-D det var fantastisk!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Heia Rose sier jeg og skjønner at dette er viktig for poeten...veldig viktig og vi trenger slike inspirasjonskilder hele tiden...