Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Dickens and Le Doc

I am currently reading "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens and as usual, there is a Doctor Who-quote to go along with that...! (Sort of distracts me, though, that's the only downside to being a...well... number one fan-atic?) Taken from the Chris Eccleston-season, this particular episode is one of my personal favourites and was written by Mark Gatiss. (Copyright, all rights served, etc.) It is a brilliant piece about The Doc's encounter with one infamous, British novelist and causing some genuine "Phantasmagoria"... Must admit, I also took the liberty of editing the excerpt a bit, removing annoying, minor-character dialogue and extra-exclamations. This, then, indicated with a "(...)".

THE DOCTOR: Charles Dickens! You're brilliant, you are! Completely 100% brilliant! I've read 'em all! Great Expectations, Oliver Twist and what's the other one, the one with the ghost? (...) The one with the trains... The Signal Man, that's it, terrifying! (...) The best short story ever written! You're a genius! (...) Honestly, Charles - can I call you Charles? I'm such a big fan. (...) Fan! Number One Fan, that's me.

DICKENS: How exactly are you a fan? In what way do you resemble a means of keeping oneself cool?

THE DOCTOR: No, it means 'Fanatic', devoted to. Mind you, I've gotta say, that American bit in Martin Chuzzlewit, what was that about?! Was that just padding or what? I mean, it's rubbish, that bit.

DICKENS: I thought you said you were my fan.

THE DOCTOR: Ah, well, if you can't take criticism... go on, do the death of Little Nell, it cracks me up!

No comments: