Saturday, January 20, 2007

Jerry Lee Lewis + Charles Dickens = ?

(For those of you who think that Scaramouche can only produce poetry, here's a little song!)

"In the shadow of a passing dame" - For Pip and Estella
By Scaramouche, the po(t)et,
inspired by Jerry Lee Lewis and Charles Dickens in an Exquisite Combination.
Bet you didn't see THAT fancy comin', now, didya? :)

VERSE 1
I was wondering where to place my feet
when you're gone
And I went a-thinking that I might consider
moving further on
Kept on creeping and I don't know what
to say anymore
Don't know how to neither speak nor
think, for sure

VERSE 2
I ventured out on a journey, a slow-motion
trip across the seas
Or maybe I didn't go that far, but my baby
never begged me to please
Come on home and rest by the fire she'd make
cos she'd make none
I knew that when I returned, my homestead'd
be empty and my baby gone

CHORUS
Yeah, you swung your coat around your shoulders
with a stuck-up nose
Reckon there ain't no other woman in this world
who could strike such a pose
Lifted your head up higher than birds do fly
and threw me a glance
Don't feel the need to add more comments
I sense that from your stance

VERSE 3
I have had many arms to hold, and smiles
to comfort any broken soul
I've had quite a few reasons to sing the blues,
yet it ain't ever been to scowl
I stepped into the doors of her mansion,
many a time
But she had little attention to spare for me,
lest to say much time

BRIDGE
No, she's such a terrific beauty, don't get me wrong
It's just that she's not only pretty, she's much too strong
And she'd kill any bold-face yongster with a single, cross syllable
Thus, I might adore her style but it don't make her more amiable

CHORUS

VERSE 4
And if someday her heart mighta changed
and she be lowered down
She'd approach me, on my level, and she'd
say "baby I'm alone"
There be forgiveness at the corner of my eyes
but I don't know if I'd say it, or what to say it for
Cause ever since she left me, speechless, stranded
my voice, to her, could utter words no more

CHORUS

CHORUS (LAST)
Yeah, she swung her coat around her shoulders
with a stuck-up nose
Reckon there won't be no other woman in the world
who can strike such a pose
Lifted her head up higher than the birds do fly
and threw me just a glance
No, I don't feel the need to add more comments
Think you sense that from my stance


And as for my initial inquiry...
Lewis + Dickens should, then, result in - rock'n'roll courting with a sad, fatal outcome?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Denne kan leses mange ganger og den blir ikke banal - kan det skyldes den elegante engelsken mon tro.....lager du musikk til denne..