Thursday, January 10, 2008

Distractions

Today is raining cats, dogs and telephone booths where I live; the window frames are shuddering from heavy gusts of wind and the storm is tearing down the trees and walls and parks outside. Stormy stuff. Bergen is so much fun when the weather is crap (not!) and consequently, must find alternative things to commit myself to indoors. Like doing housewife stuff (cleaning), completing student studies - yeah, should commence my course reading, but haven't bothered yet; don't start before tomorrow anyway - watching videos and surfing aimlessly around online. Skimming through the Imdb archives and various fansites, gossip columns and communities, all the while discovering interesting details from the somewhat dark past of my favourite actors. For instance how Halle Berry is happier than ever, since she can at last eat whatever she wants when attending awards and events, since she is pregnant and doesn't have to pose with a flat stomach for photographers? Poor thing. Crazy business. Heath Ledger suffers from insomnia after preparing for his role as The Joker in the upcoming Batman film, "The Dark Knight", about which I am despairingly anxious; scared it will be another sequel flop, like Spider-Man 3, although it seems quite promising; and at least is doesn't have Katie Holmes in it. Instead it has the glorious Maggie Gyllenhaal, along with Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman (oh, the love), Morgan Freeman...Hell, I can't wait. Should only be wonderful! Moreover, gruesome Posh Spice was voted "worst dressed person" of 2007, which was a superb choice in my opinion, just right, and Britney was left out of the list due to her "personal circumstances" which ought to "give her some peace from heavy criticism". I didn't actually believe that tabloid critics were capable of such. Good on them. Billie Piper is happily married, and thus we haven't heard anything from her lately, probably on her honeymoon at the moment, congrats to her and now-husband Laurence Fox, cute couple, and David Tennant attended her wedding on his own, which means he is till single, which is very convenient, and - that's about it. I don't care enough to mention all the other Hollywood pregnancies. May they all try to lead happy lives - blah blah blah - oh, that's so never gonna happen. Poor children. Finally, and this was the grandest shock for me, personally, today: did you know that the otherwise extremely talented and lovable John Barrowman once starred in what must be the worst sequel/horror/splatter/shark-film in history? "Shark Attack 3: Megalodon"; proclaimed the worst dubbed feature with the worst dubbed special effects and definately the worst script ever by viewers at Youtube, where one can also watch scenes from the horrible thing - if one wishes. Or dares. I love John, with all my heart, but that was pretty bad indeed. Of course, the revived interest in the man, which lead to the searching and peeking in the first place, comes from the new season of "Doctor Who"-spinoff "Torchwood" (an anagram, I know) which looks hilarious, stupid, over-the-top and notoriously fun; in a rather brilliant way; as usual. For those unforunate sufferers of the ignorance disease: this series is an adult version of DW, with sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, REALLY BIG machine guns and not-so-scary aliens (ironically). Including fish-face, Cyberwomen, trolls and - because they ran out of money, and this remains a low-budget investment - evil humans in ugly blazers. It's a kind of C.S.I meets X-files meets Resident Evil, set to the small streets of (believe it or not) Cardiff, Wales, shot simultaneously and at the same locations as its more child-friendly originator, and starring the übergorgeous "McDreamy of Sci-fi": namely John Barrowman. The two shows share a lot of similarities in writers, actors, themes, villains etc and there are rumours of a possible crossover between them during Series 4 of DW, where former Doctor-companion Martha Jones who left at the end of Series 3, will have joined forced with Torchwood, only to return to The Doctor's side (for some reason) around mid-series and (we may expect) involving the Torchwood team in whatever battles her friend fights at the moment. They involve Billie Piper, too, for the record. Me is excited. "Torchwood II" seems great, pity is I can only watch it at low-life netsites. I want BBC channels now!!! *Sniff* Moreover, and apropos, and to return to a more happy subject to divert my attention from The Bad Weather, I have finally got into the world of Doctor Who macros, at the ihasatardis-community over at the Journal, and although some of these mock-ups are pretty pointless, all of them are really well-made and they're all extremely funny for us die-hard fans. Oh, and so many silly screen-caps to mess with. Haha. I've done the same thing with some pic's from "Phantom of the Opera", should post them later. Be warned, however, that this comm. contains loads of inside-jokes and domestic humour. Might not be so comprehensible for those who aren't properly into Who. I have a lot of friends who tried watching the show and who didn't understand shite. Well, I don't unsderstand shite either, but that doesn't prevent me from thoroughly enjoying the experience that is watching it. Such is the strange fandom of The Doctor & pals, and this was all the updating I had to offer at the moment. In all honest self-knowledge, you may argue, what may be the purpose of this babbly post, apparently of total insignificance? In case you missed a serious fact or two, I mean. Technically, it's not insignificant to me, it is of the greatest interest to this fangirl, but in general it's all about trying to make time pass in ways that are set to make me a little more merry. I need my daily/weekly dosis of positive input from a world that is indeed beyond me, but at the same time such an important part of my life. I often travel to this land of daydreams and absolute freedom; free of political correctness, conventionality, earnestness and gloom, severe tragedies, massacres, religious fanaticism all the stuff you get if you turn on the news. So I don't. I do have sincere opinions on political matters as am I engaged, above average, in the organisations working for a better community and I try to keep up with the incidents that shape and colour our surroundings. And, perhaps just therefore, I still need these glimpses of something entirely different; something easies, lighter, brighter. Something that doesn't have me worried or troubled or sad, in matters that concern the fate of the world, just intrigued and enthusiastic. Change of pace, so to speak. Highly recommended, for everyone, despite the apparent fear of taking on a "meaningless activity", as claimed by some, and that shall also be my morale for the day. Allow yourself a gossip treat, for a minute or two, and revel in the luxury that is access to entertaining entertainment, not only the serious documentaries whose messages you can just as well gain from looking out of your own bloody window. I see trees of gray, raindrops too. Never-ceasing, could've made me blue. But I think to myself, what a wonderful world - populated but "people" like The Doctor, which I can still return to when the real world bothers me. My very own parallell universes, best thing there is.

No comments: