Sunday, January 06, 2008

Finally, some recognition!

Be warned: Fangirlish. Which is a good thing, mind you. NOT about "Doctor Who", though, for once. If you don't know who Gerard Butler is, or what he does, or that he's the handsomest most talented brilliant adorable man alive, I would strongly recommend for you to read this. If you happen to dislike Gerard Butler, for reasons unintelligible to this writer, you should definately have a look. If you think "Phantom of the Opera" is rubbish, "300" deserves a Razzie, "P.S. I love you" pitfalls into the category of meaningless stupid Chick Flick, and James Bond is a jerk, you have no taste whatsoever, and should (hence) reconsider your view on life and death and choices in general, starting with - yes, thank you - reading the following. Then regret your mistakes and apologize for the tragedies they may have caused. So: at all costs, do not avoid.

Time changes, fame changes, some are changed - through time - by fame. And some remain, like Gerard James Butler, 38 years of age, in the business for over a decade, the same and ever-so-charming, irresistible figure in an otherwise incomprehensible world of love and war (divorce and truce). Now proclaimed official starlet of 2007, now on the Imdb frontpage; head story, big news, pretty picture, massive promotion; now ahead of Bruce Willis on the lists of up and coming, most-important, really clever celeb personas; someone to be recognized and reckoned with. At last, and most deservedly, he is given credit for his endless efforts, his bodybuilding, his charisma, his incredible talent on-screen; these genuine, heartfelt, terrific acting skills. I don't care if they regard this as his breakthrough, I've loved him all along. I'll love him for the times to come. I'll love him no matter what, even if the general opinion changes. Faithful fan(girl)s stay put. Still, feels somewhat bizarre to see the formerly so anonymous and unnoticed Gerry becoming a Major Star, all of a sudden; that it doesn't seem like an ephemeral thought, that it's no passing fancy, but a proper rise to fame we're witnessing; to have other people know what I'm talking about when I'm babbling about my fondness for this one and only Überscot. For the first time in my days of being fan. I, and all the other fan(girl)s with me, have been waiting for this moment for so very very long and finally our patience is being rewarded. (That's five years, now, as for myself.) Ever since "Tomb Raider 2", I have been utterly infatuated with this scaringly appealing male. Captivated, spellbound, absorbed; there you have it. Didn't stand a chance. And it's quite an achievement, seeing that "TR2" wasn't particularly well received by the critics. I, however, challanged the common opinion and (next) begged to differ. Except for the opening and the ending and some Gerry-less parts in-between, I loved it. Also the parts with Gerry were brilliant. Consequently, the movie was rather good overall, in my honest opinion. Then again, I love Lara Croft. And I love Gerry enough to love even things I don't love that much, if they only have him in it - one way or the other. So, no wonder. Fortunately, he is given more promising opportunities now. And he's regarded as a promising actor by the Big Names. The ones in power, making decisions, they apparently adore him right now. Hear my "weee"! There's so much to feel excitement about, considering his future in acting and his possibilities, I don't know where to start. Or how to react. Or how to stop myself from running around and being frantic. I didn't expect this, no I didn't, I am almost ashamed to admit I once feared he would be a minor character for the rest of his days, and I would have to either skip through entire movies looking for the "blink and you'll miss it" scene where Gerry has no/few/pointless lines ("Tomorrow Never Dies", "Harrison's Flowers") or, worse, go see shitty flicks like "Dracula 2000" only because he has some small and insignificant part in it. Well, Gerry made even that last one a decent piece. Not many people would manage, but he did. That scene where he enters the Virgin store and looks around, with a growing grin on his face? Classic. Rest is crap, though. Gerry's new and coming adventures, on the other hand, look absolutely amazing. Considering the previous few, as well, "300" as the prize diamond, we simply have a lot of goodies in store for us. And yup, truth is, that makes my heart leap with glee. Fills me with delight to know that my favourite actor may become the favourite actor of so many others too, in time. May not last that long, either, before he is everywhere. The new Brad Pitt, the new George Clooney, ooh the prospects. Or, no. Wait a minute. Will be the new...Gerry, really, for I suppose this man has no ability of being anyone but himself. Only thing he lacks, for which I am extremely glad. Not sure I can fully cope with this whole universalization of popularity, however. Or stand the pressure of hearing about him in the news 24-7. Might just faint from all the potential fulfillment of anticipation. That's what it is, that's what makes it so fantastic. And did I mention, it's just what he deserves? Quite certain you all got it? Moreover, here's what the critics write, so flatteringly, about the Man of so many dreams of mine: "A year ago around this time, Gerard Butler was best known as the man behind the mask in The Phantom of the Opera. Now, thanks to his powerful turn in the action hit 300, he's ranked at No. 14 on our STARmeter™ list of the Top 25 Stars of 2007. [...] 14. Gerard Butler (Last year: Uncharted): "THIS... IS... SPARTA!" With those words, and his brutally charismatic turn as King Leonidas in 300, the actor became an immediate star, the newest (and most muscular) action hero in Hollywood. P.S. - We already forgive P.S., I Love You." (Sources: see Imdb & STARmeter & Imdb's Gerry-site) Me celebrates this with another pretty picture from Gerry's new and excessively anticipated kid's flick, "Nim's Island", in which he plays a rather absurdly attractive single Dad; and his alter ego, the man who will give Indiana Jones an exhausting run for his money. The man who, in fact, makes Indiana Jones look pretty much like one of my outdated professors. My Lords and Ladies, I give you The Sexiest Adventurer on the Planet: Alex Rover.

Image: snatched from GBgals.com's amazing Gallery. Thanks to the moderators. Wee bit PhotoShopped and cropped by yours truly. More specifically, a screen cap from the movie trailer, in which Gerry gets top-billing, name written in gold and more; and for the record, YES the woman in the slightly dim background is Jodie Foster. The Jodie Foster. Just to give you an idea of what kind of utter acting legends Gerry is cast opposite, at the moment. Zack Snyder is his new mentor. Rodrigo Santoro his new best mate. Hilary Swank is so full of praise, she's almost outdoing herself, stating that: "He's really fresh and brings that quality to everythings he does." I'm happy. Happy-happy, going lucky. Awaiting, also, with excitement, the saddest love story since "Love Story", ergo the above-mentioned "P.S. I love you" - with Gerry as Gerry, no less - and I can't say I solely look forward to it, because I'm going to bawl my eyes out in the theatre, hopefully not too loudly, but I still can't wait to see it - of course - and well, this is the case with any new Gerry-movie so I am indeed getting used to it. Except in this one, he plays the guitar and sings and performs striptease. At once. Again. Oh, and I cried at the ending of "300" because his character eventually sacrifices himself heroically - here, Hilary Swank's character spends the whole story coping with the fact he dies, tragically, of a brain tumor leaving her deserted and all alone and completely miserable. I almost cry from watching the trailer, I will positively die from watching the entire movie! AND I've read the bloody book! Which is, again, like an official study guide to missing Gerry! Oh, dear, what am I to do? With my life? With my time? With my decreasing bank account, suffering from cinematic needs and deeds? Alright, enough sorrow, and needless regrets, love is a many splendored thing, love lifts me up where I belong, blah blah blah, love has certain demands. There's the prize to pay. And Hell, am I willing to pay it! (That's rhetorical, by the way.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fantastiske mannen som er så undervurdert - alle burde se ham på film og begeistres...syns jeg.