Sunday, July 08, 2007

Criminal Minds

Criminally Clever Costner.
*SPOILERS AHEAD!!*

Went to see "Mr. Brooks" last Friday afternoon. And, in short, it was a wonderful event. As a long-time, devoted Kevin Costner-fan, attending the premieres of his new films is more of an obligatory duty which I can't miss, than a random choice of late night entertainment. I'm working my way down his list of works, and I must say - seldom have I enjoyed it that much. The new Costner-piece is a brilliant (literally) story with fantastic actors and a chilling twist. It is indeed a role very unlike my hero; he usually stars as the lonesome, kind rider or the troubled, kind bodyguard or the fussy, kind knight. As Earl Brooks, he was a scaringly realistic schizophrenic; cold-hearted, manipulative and psychopathic killer mixed with a suspicious, quiet, tormented businessman. His alter ego, Marshall, urged him to continue nursing his addiction and keep on with the murders. The more normal self, the father and loving husband and talented boss - American dream all over - prayed to God that his lust might be quenched. What made the film especially satisfying in my opinion was the turn away from the traditional, American "happy ending, all solved"-ending and instead give us a creepy final chapter of "loose ends not tied up" and a totally open, final scene which left all possibilities possible. The dialogue was puzzling and poetic, although a little cliché (and too far out) at times. I'd say it was actually the weakest element, but I must admit it added to the whole "ordinarity" of the plot. The most frightening part of the film truly was the fact that Mr. Brooks and his world and his words were all extremely ordinary, which gives the audience a feeling that this could've happened to them or their next door neighbour. You can't often identify with madmen on film, but this time it was the only option. He was an average guy, with an average life. And ironically, the turn of the story showed that what we consider to be tediously normal is often the exact opposite. We never know what lurks behind the "perfect facade". Very consistent, never slipping into the tempting outrageousness of most thrilers, just very thought-through. I love this kind of mysteries! It was also great to see how they took advantage of the split personalities to raise the question of what is real and what is pure imagination. What takes place in Earl's mind, and what really happens. They allowed some intervention and cuts here, which some may find rather annoying but which I myself found excellent. It reminded me of "Secret Window", employing some of the same techniques, but with the more eccentric and weird character of Johnny Depp taking the lead. Mr. Brooks was less fantastic and more vicious, and I'd regard him as more...well, scary. Never over the top, just plain mad. Grotesque, of course, and with gallons of blood and heavy use of noises. Still, they seemed stranegly appropriate. The best part was the chemistry between Costner and William Hurt, who played the evil self. Plus, the seemingly innocent daughter. And the wonderful Michelle (Reiko Aylesworth) from "24" made a small, but memorable appearance. Nicey! But most of all; this was Costner's film. He owned the character and his portrayal worked magically. The dogged, dodgy, subtle, angry, bitter, insecure killer. It all fit. What a great opportunity for my beloved cowboy, and he nailed it! Highly recommended, and not just for Costner-fanatics!

Miraculously mindfull memorandum.
Shipper couples! More to come, if I...can decide.
(That song will never be the same again.)

Memories brought back, for various reasons. Required a paragraph or two. Thus; having a particular couple to cheer for whilst watching a film or a TV-series always brightens up the viewing experience. I've been a shipper for as long as I can remember, and here are some of my favourite and most cherished on-screen couples, in no specific order. And, strange as it might seem, it would appear that most of these couples have been (or are still) split either by death, horror, time, sickness and/or lethal monsters (possibly aliens). Some never to be reuinted (sob!!), some hopefully to be reuinted and married and live happily ever after and have lots of time travelling babies (guess who) and some...er...to reuinte and hug awkwardly. (Bad bad mov(i)e!)

1. Tony and Michelle, "24". As mentioned above. I spent hours clenching my fists, wanting them to get together and wanting whoever was threatening their union to be tortured to death or something. Didn't take many hours, either, before they were happily snogging one another. And, later, come to think about it, it only took one day (although it seemd somewhat longer, hoho) before they got together again - after Tony initially attempted to ruin their marriage. I quit watching "24" after season, er, four I think - so as far as I'm concerned they drove into the sunset together. Happily-go-luckily. And by the way; this particular obsession was also a bit affected by my love for Carlos Bernard, who plays Tony, and who is absolutely gorgeous. Of course.
2. Neo and Trinity, "The Matrix", as mentioned some posts below. I love the Matrix-films, mostly because of their affair and the undeniable, all-important connection that can never be broken, not even by killing robot sentinels. Keanu Reeves will never be as clever or as handsome ever again. And he will never get a more perfect on-screen partner. Oh, and "Matrix Revolutions" is one of perhaps - er - no other films which has had me cry both because I loved the characters and the characters died AND because the whole thing was so...unfulfilling and poor and awfully religious. I'm divided between a want for another one, which could bring Trin back and improve the lousy ending, and the fear for such a film because I don't trust the makers enough to believe it'd be satisfying. Well, well - we'll see!
3. The Doctor and Rose, "Doctor Who", as mentioned a lot. Goes unsaid and remains my top shipping-obsession, and the one I heart the most. Nine/Ten, no matter. "They both" loved her, and "they" (meaning he) sure miss her. The Perfect Team, The Perfect Companion, The Perfect Series. Am currently working on a campaign, in this respect, stay tuned!
4. Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson, "Spider-Man", as mentioned somewhere recently. I loved number 1 and the upside-down kiss. I loved number 2 and the runaway bride-thing. And I hated how number 3 lacked all every such moment. Still, Tobey and Kirsten are incredible together - and Spider-Man will always need his girl-next-door soulmate, by his side, to save him from the burdens of being a superhero and shine a little love-light on his world of chemical monster-horror. Even if the films suck.
5. House and Stacy, "House M.D.", alright alright, tempting to say House and Wilson, but I would actually prefer to have Stacy stay and their relationship develop further. They were so sweet together, and a super match - in my honest opinion. She's one of very few people, lest to say women, who could handle House (or, as she called him, Greg) and who wasn't apalled by his unstable, intractable behaviour. Not all the time, anyway. And the Steve McQueen The Rat-episode is still one of my absolute favourites. Genius has side effects, and the genius needs his sidekick.

No comments: