Thursday, March 29, 2007

R-A-P

(ravishing, ardent, prudent? hmmm...or not!)

Not the best thing I've written, but it isn't supposed to be so either.
This is a tribute to the narrow-eyed, baggy-trousered, flourescent-glittering guys who call themselves hiphopaaaz and are exposed through performances on channels like TheVoice. Which I was watching late late the other night, and hence I ended up with this. That being said, there's a lot of very neat both r'n'b and rap/hip hop and I admire many of the artists...but some, some in particular, are equally ridiculous and hardly admirable...also, it is a fact that I am a fan of quite a few older rep's of the genre, amongst whom some are sadly lost (R.I.P Notorious BIG and 2Pac!) and I can't help being displeased when watching yet some of their successors...lame copycats, can't live up to the originals...still; please don't take offense, anyone, and remember the necessary sense of irony...and distance...after all, it IS a tribute...and I do believe in the wit and ability to laugh at oneself - partly out of confidence and partly out of devil-may-care-based pride - which I find applies to all good people out there. In honour of the cool ones! YO!! ;)

"Beat for da Man"
By Scaramouche, the po(t)et, and no also wannabe-rapper...barely...at least I've realized my shortcoming and what I can't live up to! Lol...and I never claimed I was able to "get it"!

[repeated throughout]

hip hop to da beat
you don't want no facts you want airbrushed realities
hip hop do da sheet
you don't want no answers you want fixed, formed, obscenities

[verses]

certainly...habitually...
the ways we dig...the greatest gig...
here goes;

in come the chickies, you say scream, and so they do
they'll shake their asses in a circle, just for you
come closer baby boy, let me see some flossing now
car wheels, car tyres, legs tied to the wires

wind machines would blow you straight off course
you are loose, due to some unknown power source
will we learn from where the ecstacy originates or
whom he willingly takes care of, say exterminates

how - with all the bling around your necks,
how can you breathe, perform your treks,
you own the stage, the trail is yours
in storms the band who plays the chords

a king in a frame that is glaring screens of green
a queen to be crowned in a suit that's so supreme
well, more like non-existent and that's the way it's alwyas been
voices cry; none would do it better, none does hip hop quite like him

you oughta soon retire, but who could stop
when the only chance is that you might get shot
the girls are fierce, while the bass is deafening
the boss is the one who is best at toughening

so let's spin a records for da man
shovelling 'round, waving your fan
the gold that glitters isn't fake
but still the world ain't yours to take

No comments: